Enterprise Minnesota is an ISO 9001:2015 certified consulting organization that works with small and medium sized manufacturing companies to help them compete and grow profitably. The organization also serves as the “voice” for the industry, raising visibility and appreciation for the value manufacturers provide our communities and the state’s economy. Our affiliation with the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) further positions Enterprise Minnesota to offer clients leading-edge services to improve manufacturing operations, attract/retain employees, and grow business. Enterprise Minnesota sales and consulting staff work from their homes and live throughout Minnesota. Executive, marketing, administration and finance staff work out of the corporate office in Minneapolis. We anticipate the Editorial Director will work primarily from a home office and be available for onsite meetings in Minneapolis multiples times per month.
The Editorial Director (ED) is a writing intensive position responsible for managing the communications outreach marketing efforts at Enterprise Minnesota. This position reports to the Vice President of Marketing and is accountable for the following:
- The Weekly Report – 3x per Month
Ghostwrite The Weekly Report email newsletter from the Vice President of Marketing that is circulated to a 7,000 person Enterprise Minnesota distribution list.
- Enterprise Minnesota® Magazine – Quarterly
Manage all aspects of producing a 44-page quarterly magazine, including:
Concepting. The President/CEO and Vice President of Marketing will convene a quarterly planning meeting to suggest story ideas for the upcoming issue. The ED will transform these ideas into viable story concepts that contain a relevant news peg and showcase the value of Enterprise Minnesota’s people and services.
Writing & Editing. For each issue, write two features (approximately 2400 words each), eight “Innovations” profiles (including a “Four Questions” interview), and ghost-written columns for the president/ceo and vice president of marketing. The ED will also: assign three 2400-word features to freelance writers; edit all copy for the quality of its storytelling, writing and strategic value; prepare all heds, deks, cutlines, and pull quotes; and write the table contents.
Proofing. Collaborate with freelance copy editor, who is accountable for editing for errors in spelling, grammar, usage, and style; and overseeing in-house proofreading of the final printer’s proof copy.
Art & Design. Assign photography as necessary. During production, work closely with the art director, providing initial guidance about art, value judgments of proposed designs and copy as necessary to accommodate the design and advertising.
Administration. Manage end-to-end production: prepare and distribute a folio and story lineup to encapsulate the story guidance from senior management; execute freelance writer/photographer agreements that describe the assignment’s news peg and strategic value; accommodate advertising; and ensure that deadlines are met and budgets are followed.
- The State of Manufacturing® (SOM) – Annual
Write annual State of Manufacturing analysis – a narrative of the PowerPoint, written by Enterprise Minnesota’s national pollster. This individual will also facilitate 15 focus groups to gain the subjective opinions of manufacturers that complement the quantitative SOM survey data. The ED will also work collaboratively with the vice president of marketing to communicate and market the SOM to all Enterprise Minnesota key audiences.
- General Marketing Communications – As Needed
The ED will write other marketing communications pieces including writing/editing internal memos, speeches, press releases, and op/eds.
Skills, Experiences, and Work Style
- Journalistic Writing – Skilled in story concepting, storytelling, and writing with clarity, purpose and flair. Previous experience writing for a magazine or demonstrated equivalency required.
- Project Management – Demonstrated ability to shepherd many multi-faceted and moving parts of projects through to on-time completion and within budget.
- Collaboration – Builds cross-functional alignment with staff and vendors to align efforts and achieve results.
- Emotional Intelligence – Enthusiastic and humble lifelong learner. Manages both ambiguity and creative conflict well, understanding their role in a successful creative process.
- Self-Directed – Brings forward ideas for both content and process, savvy about when to ask permission and when to act with confidence.
- Quality Driven – Cheerfully and consistently holds self and others to high standards.
Enterprise Minnesota is an EEO employer.
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing interest/fit for the position to email@example.com or use the link below. If you have writing samples (magazine articles, news releases, web promotions) or links to examples of your work, we welcome the chance to review those as well.